Eat healthy and save money! Every week we will offer a new recipe featuring healthy ingredients on special in this week's circular.
Memorial Day, Grillside
When you break out the grill for Memorial Day, really put it to work for you and grill your side dishes, too!
- Grill corn on the cob. Just soak whole cobs for 15 minutes, then peel off all but the last few layers of husk. Peel those back, then rush kernels with butter or oil and herbs, then rewrap with husks and grill 15 minutes or until tender (watch carefully to avoid charring!)
- Marinate veggies, like zucchini, tomato, asparagus or large mushrooms. Cook directly on the grill, or wrap in a foil packet for less cleanup.
- Try fruits, too! Pineapple and peaches grill especially well, and make a great summer dessert when topped with a little whipped cream, cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
Save with this week's Eating Healthy on a Budget recipe, featuring items from our current circular.
Grilled Ratatouille Kabobs
Traditional ratatouille is a stew of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion and herbs. Combine these vegetables on a skewer and grill them for a quicker version that's just as tasty!
|Makes 8 skewers • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons GIANT olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon GIANT dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon GIANT dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon GIANT dried thyme
- 1 small eggplant, 1 inch cubes
- 2 small zucchini, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, large dice
- 1 medium onion, sliced in wedges
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 8 oz mushrooms, whole, halves or slices
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Preheat grill to medium and oil grates. In a large bowl combine oil, garlic, basil, oregano and thyme. Add eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms; toss to coat. Alternately skewer vegetables onto eight 10-inch skewers. Reserve any dressing. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with any reserved dressing, until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 80 calories, 4g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugars, 2g protein
BONUS BUY™ Savings week of May 19 to May 25 for this menu:
- Premium Vidalia Onions
- Steak Cut Mushrooms
- Green or Yellow Squash
- Extra Large LaRouge Red Peppers